Friday, February 14, 2014

Another Snow Day!

Yesterday was another snow day! Woo! I love snow days. 



Hot chocolate and knitting that's what snow days are good for.
I didn't end up having any hot chocolate... but I did get a lot of stuff done. And, because I was home all day I took lots of pictures.

In the morning I made a batch of lotion bars. This batch came out much better than my first batch in my opinion. This time around I replaced the avacado oil with coconut oil, which made the bars just a little bit softer and easier to rub in. 
The recipe for this batch was:
2 oz. Beeswax
1 oz. Cocoa Butter
1 oz. Shea Butter
1 oz. Almond Oil
1 oz. coconut oil 

I wish that making lotion bars was a quicker process, because I'd do it more often. But it's mostly just waiting for everything to melt. 



And like last time I made these the same smell, since I only have one fragrance oil...



But at least oatmeal milk and honey is a great scent! And fragrance oils are actually pretty expensive.
Even though I was a bit messy filling the mold, I did get 5.5 bars out of this batch.



And this time around I made a special bar just for my dad with no fragrance in it. I made him a special tin to send back with my sister when she visits.



Once all the lotion was made I did some more work (in case you are worried I did actually get work done on my laptop while I was waiting for all the parts to melt). Then I decided to get in some knitting, because you know what? Nobody else was working, they were all shoveling snow. I'm pleased to say I made some great progress! On Tuesday I started a Meeting Point top (from Holla Knits) for my sister, and I'm already almost at the center of the sweater where the points meet, hence the name. 
Here's where I started in the morning:

And this is what I had by the end of the day!



The scale of the pictures is a little funky but let me assure you, there's much more sweater there in the second picture.  The reason I'm trying to finish so quickly is that if we can get a project done between the 7th and the 26th of Feb for the HP knitting cup we get a bunch of extra points. So! Yet again being part of Ravelry is spurring my knitting efforts. 

And now for the update on my other projects since my last post.
I took an updated picture of my cedar leaf shawlette



I'm almost finished with the regular knitting part. Just 6 more rows and then I can start the leaves! (though others who made this said that that leaves were a test of patience...so we'll see how those go).

I also made it to the halfway point on my color affection! So I'm on pace to finish it halfway through next month!



Hopefully I can keep up the motivation as the rows get longer and longer...

Anyway, quite a lengthy update, but hey! Gotta do something with those snow days! and the lunch the day after a snow day when it's still snowy out and almost nobody shows up to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment